2. Don't drink alcohol. Don't drink alcohol if you are pregnant or if you are driving or operating machinery. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, call your physician, or your local hospital for assistance.
3. Find some exercise that you enjoy, such as walking or swimming and do it at least five times per week for a total of at least 30 minutes each day. The 30 minutes can be devided into ten or fifteen minutes segments if these are easier to fit your day.
4. Eat a wide variety of naturally occuring foods, including plent of whole grains, fresh fruits, and fresh vegetable. Use moderation in your consumption of foods that contain fat.
5. Keep your body trim. Don't let yourself or children become overweight. Obesity is linked with many serious disorders such as heart disease and diabetes mellitus. If you are overweight, try hard to make permanent changes in your eating and exercise habits.
6. Have regular medical checkups. Screening test can detect many disease in their early stages, when they may be more successfully treated. Your physician can answer any questions you may have about how often a test should be performed.